Last weekend we walked down to the Home Hardware in Parkdale where I got the carpet for the condo, and where I saw a wide variety of bins. I wanted a couple to store the litter and hay in because I’m tired of all the bags above the condo (so untidy looking and messy; and I think it might reduce allergens in the air, keeping all the hay locked up in one place). (The basket shown in the image below was already there; it holds some toys, towels, and the Furminator. There’s also some cleaning supplies hidden behind it.)
While I was there, I picked up some shears to cut zip ties with, because even our heavy-duty kitchen scissors don’t do the trick very well, and I felt it was time to work on the condo’s weak spot (as described in part five of the ongoing condo saga) — especially since I’d be adding a bit more weight to the top with the bins. After sitting with the problem for more than a month, I decided to start with the zip ties because it’s a relatively small and easy step — bigger improvements (like more crossbeams, or vertical supports, or a floor to attach the walls to) can come later, if necessary.
After examining the condo carefully, I tightened a few ties, added six to one side, and removed two from the inner doors. I removed them because I found that the horizontal tie connecting the door to its kitty-corner panel was causing all four panels to warp a little bit whenever I opened it.
So far, my improvements have been successful. When you rattle the bars, there’s much less movement than before; and hardly any bowing when I open the big door. I guess we’ll see where we are in a few months, after the condo has seen more use!